Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Ondansetron may be used to treat or prevent nausea and vomiting that may occur after therapy with anti-cancer medications, radiation or surgery.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- Try to give this medication at about the same time each day.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed and do not give more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
What if I miss giving a dose?
"If you miss a dose and the pet is nauseated, give the medication as soon as possible."
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose and the pet is not nauseated, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. If you miss a dose and the pet is nauseated, give the medication as soon as possible. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medication away from heat and direct light.
- Do not store this medication in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in other damp places, since the heat and moisture may cause the medicine to break down.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
Are there any potential side effects?
- This medication is not frequently used in veterinary medicine, but it appears to be well tolerated.
- Side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian if you are giving your pet any other medication or supplements.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may be anticipated. If this occurs, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
This client information sheet is based on material written by:
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.