Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Buprenorphine is used to treat pain in dogs and cats. Buprenorphine is a synthetic partial opiate agonist.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. Read the label carefully.
- Try to give this medication at about the same time(s) each day.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed.
- DO NOT give the medicine more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
What do I do if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places. The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
What are the potential side effects?
- Your pet may experience some drowsiness. If these symptoms appear excessive or persist, contact your veterinarian.
- Although rare, depression of breathing may occur.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving to your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- The following drugs can potentially interact with buprenorphine: other central nervous system depressant agents, pancuronium, monoamine oxidase inhibitors and local anesthetics.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
This client information sheet is based on material written by:
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.